Saturday, July 22, 2006

Movie Reviews: Hostel & Wolf Creek




These 2 movies came out about the same time last year, but due to my avoidance of seeing films in the theater (I love movies but not moviegoers) I have only recently watched these films.

Hostel was directed by Eli Roth, the director of Cabin Creek... I should admit now that I am not a huge fan of the horror genre; but I will watch horror films that offer something more, or films that are exceptionally well done, particularly films by first time directors who show a lot of energy. The genre lends itself to lower budget films that can still illustrate the talent and potential of the creative teams. Eli Roth showed some of this promise in Cabin Fever The movie was okay but did not inspire me with a strong sense of anticipation for his follow-up... However, Hostel is a good film. I approached the film with a strong idea of what to expect so the long, slow build towards the horror were appreciated by not scary. I offer kudos to Roth for taking the time to allow the story to build. I was particularly impressed with the way that the script was so tightly organized. The movie doesn't cheat and allows for small moments to show up later in the film at important moments and yet these events do not feel forced. I will admit there was one scene I was unable to fully watch, the infamous eyeball scene...

This got me in the mood for a follow-up horror flick and I watched Wolf Creek.



This was a tremendous film... Extemely well acted by 3 newcomers, their interactions are so incredibly naturaly you almost feel you watching a home movie ( a point played upon for a disturbing moment in the film)... most disturbing is the depiction of the villainous mick, played by Josh Jarrat... Mick is the classic example of the true face of evil: banal, possibly charming, and completely lacking in any kind of human kindness or empathy. This film was an incredible road movie and makes me extremely eager to see the next movie from Writer/Director Greg McLean

Here is a link to IMDB to read more about Wolf Creek http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416315/

And here is one for Hostel http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450278/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»