Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Brutal, just Brutal!



Wow! I know i was supposed to offer up part II of the wedding weekend, but this weeks episode of Deadwood was so unsettling and disturbing I had to comment on it... sadly, no one watches this show with any regularity, so I could not share this experience with anyone... I watch a lot of film, tv, etc., but this was easily one of the most brutal, disturbing fight scenes I have ever seen. I couldn't get it out of my head, and I rewatched the scene tonight. I realized that the scene, a brutal mano y mano fight, bare knuckled, no weapons, was so disturbing because it was so real. If you do not watch this show, you should. I can not possibly describe the intensity of this fight, but the truth is that there are no heroes in this story, just survivors. I will admit, the brilliance of good storytelling inspires the viewer to root for someone who is in many ways evil (i.e. Tony Soprano), but most important here was the aftermath, in which the "victor" was show naked, shivering in a room, shaking uncontrollably as he came down from the state of animalistic fury necessary in a kill or be killed scenario... just an outstanding depiction of violence in all its ugliness.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Ditto.

No really, great description of the fight and its aftermath. Disturbing n so many levels...

savvy said...

thanks!