Friday, August 11, 2006

Movie Review: Running Scared



I wish I had gone to see Running Scared in the theater. This was easily one of those films that a large screen with a booming sound system would have carried me along as the film winds its way down the rabbit hole and through a bizarre, surreal ride of violence and perversion. (Yes, there is a reason why Mrs. Savvybeast did not watch this with me.)

I watched the first 45 minutes in a start and stop fashion and was very underwhelmed. I watched the last 75 minutes straight through and found myself getting caught up in the frenetic pace and some solid acting (although not from bland lead actor Paul Walker). I enjoy films that use the Alice in Wonderland metaphor, propelling characters through a dizzying array of bizarre set pieces. The Matrix used the idea, (the original, before the series went down the crapper.) The Martin Scorsese flick from the 80's does it with After Hours. The Rob Zombie film House of 1000 Corpses utilizes this idea as well.



The real find for me in this film was super sexy actress Vera Farminga. An early season demonstrated her tremendous "ass-sets" but she won me over with her character, a loving mom, devoted daughter, yet tough as nails, sexy as hell wife. Her ability to convey emotions ranging from compassion to horror to rage in one very key scene (don't want to spoil it, but let's just say children are in jeopardy of something unspeakable at the hands of a pedophile couple).

Best of all, Vera is a Jersey girl, born in Passaic County on Aug. 6, 1973.

Jersey Rules, baby!

No comments: