Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Movie Review and Today's Hot Chick




Todays movie is a true B-movie classic, a hybrid cult flick that has only recently become available on DVD. It was recommended to me by my friend Les, a huge movie fan (particularly horror) and an all around pop culture geek.

Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat - was released in nov. 1991. I hadn't even heard much about the film, vaguely recall reading a few bits and pieces about it once but forgot the name. Les mentioned it recently, and I checked out. Here's the set up, in brief. The town of Purgatory is populated by vampires, only the vamps are working real hard to refrain from hunting and draining humans. They follow Mordulac, a mysterious wealthy man who bought the town and invited all the vamps who wanted a new lifestyle to follow him. Things have improved for vamps, with the improvements in sunscreen, UV sunglasses, and skin protecting clothing, lip balm, and gloves. Basically, they can tolerate the sunlight. Better yet, Mordulac has worked with a human scientist to to create synthentic blood, allowing them to live quietly. To offer up much more than that would spoil the fun, so I won't.

What I will tell you is the film is a bizarre hybrid of comedy, horror, and layed over a classic western. Even better is the cast. David Carradine, M. Emmit Walsh, Deborah Foreman, Morgan Brittany (so hot!) and..... Bruce (the chin) Campbell. I couldn't recommend this film any more highly. If you like stuff such as Army of Darkness or Shaun of the Dead, I think you will get a real kick out of this film.

No comments: