Thursday, January 18, 2007

Great Directors Underperforming

So I pulled out my nail clippers and used the filing extension to open one of my many unwatched DVD's. Miller's Crossing. Classic Coen Brothers movie from 1990 with Gabriel Byrne, Albert Finney, John Turtorro, and Marcia Gay Harden. (Marcia Gay Harden is a criminally underrated actress; if you don't believe me check her out in Pollock and Spitfire Grill.) Anyway, Millers Crossing is classic filmmaking , a gangster film with a complex plot and some superb performances. Haunting musical score and superb character actors fill in all the kick ass Coen parts I've come to love. I would easily put this film up with Fargo, Barton Fink, and The Big Lebowski. Intolerable Cruelty and Ladykillers are so far beneath their talent.

No comments: